Top 5 Rookies to Target in Fantasy Football
1) Melvin Gordon – Absolute no brainer. Melvin Gordon has the opportunity to set the rookie bar in a high octane, efficient Mike McCoy offense. Some people might be worried about the Chargers ranking 30th in rushing yards/game last year. However, this was mainly due to Branden Oliver’s highly ineffective running (3.6 YPC). Ryan Mathews was highly effective when healthy.
Fire up Melvin as a top target in daily formats especially in favorable matchups. In snake drafts, don’t reach for him since I could see his ADP rising to the second or third round. There should be some better value later in snake drafts/auctions.
2) Amari Cooper – Here is a great play for season long formats. Amari will be heavily targeted making his floor extremely high. You can feel comfortable drafting Amari in an offense that has a lot of question marks for this reason alone. In daily formats, I will keep him on my list for favorable matchups as well for cash games.
3) Todd Gurley – TGIII has the opportunity to carry an offense with a fresh face at QB, Nick Foles. It will be very intriguing to see how Nick Foles plays in a non-Chip Kelly system. I think Jeff Fisher will lean heavily on the run game this year and try and beat teams up at the front of the line. I wouldn’t be surprised if Tre Mason was still in the mix.
TGIII has unbelievable upside (10+ TD potential), which is the reason for him making the list. Target him in daily leagues early and often. However, if you want him in season long leagues make sure to handcuff with Tre Mason.
4) Breshad Perriman – Another great high floor guy for a rookie. As a prospect, Perriman has a lot of question marks and has been highly criticized for his drops. He gets the opportunity to step into a great offense right away. There will be some up and downs in the Ravens offense as Joe Flacco only seems to play at another level in the Playoffs, but not necessarily regular season.
5) Nelson Agholor – Sleeper Alert! No Maclin. High octane offense. That is all you need to know for taking a flier on this guy in season long leagues. Depending on his price for daily leagues, he could be a good Week 1 or Week 2 GPP play. He could make a huge impact. Maybe it takes a couple of weeks (similar to Jordan Matthews last year), so keep him on your watchlist all season long.
Honorable Mention: TJ Yeldon, Dorial Green-Beckham, Ameer Abdullah
You need to login to comment on this post. Click here to login.